Insecurity: Idoma to send delegation to NSA; declares fasting and prayer
By Daniel Adaji
Prominent sons and daughters of Idoma on Saturday gathered in Otukpo Benue State, and discussed the spate killings in Oturkpo, Apa, and Guma Local Government Areas of Benue State where above 134 persons were killed by Fulani militia.
The killing that took place during this year’s Easter celebration has been condemned by a cross-section of Nigerians, and President Muhammadu Buhari has asked security operatives to review the situation and carry out necessary measures.
Chaired by the Och’Idoma, Agabaidu Elaigwu Odogbo Obagaji John, the meeting resolved to send “a high-powered Idoma stakeholders delegation to the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) to properly situate our case and the dire need of our people, for onward transmission to the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”
Youths and communities would be engaged and sensitized not to take laws into their hands
In communique made available to The Insight, the group had resolved to set up an Idoma Local Orientation Platform to champion the Idoma unity drive, especially through arts and poetries.
“Before we collectively stand firm on our common grounds, we MUST learn to stay united with a clear understanding of the essence of brotherly unity, love, fairness, and equity,” the statement said.
The group also said they would engage youths and communities in sensitization campaigns geared towards ensuring peace in the state.
We MUST learn to stay united with a clear understanding
According to the statement, “Youths and communities would be engaged and sensitized not to take laws into their hands. But to always stay vigilant for odd faces and strange movements within their communities.”
Below is an excerpt from the statement:
- Determine and stop indigenous schemers of their common patrimony – “An Idoma proverb suggests that it is the rats in the house that invites the stray rats home.”
- To establish an Idoma Development, Economic and Security Committee (IDESC) – to advocate the Idoma cause from an organic and organized perspective. This would primarily be a central tool for women and girls’ capacity development, seeing that this ugly trend has rendered many women widows and many children orphans.
- Suspend and investigate any chief indicted in shady dealings with marauders and militias.
- Obi/Otukpo communal clashes – That an intercommunal dialogue approach be initiated and midwife by reputable indigenous conflict resolution experts within the border communities of Obi/Otupko- for the level of damages to be assessed, and documented- and an independent/standalone power control station be built in the Ijegwu community of Obi LGA.
- Idoma National Fasting and Praying Week- A specific day will be agreed upon whereby all sons and daughters of Idoma worldwide will partake in this all-important program.
- Established the Idoma Cultural Week- a time when all sons and daughters would come and showcase our rich cultural heritage and revive Idoma’s tourist potential.